5.01.2012

Day 1

So yesterday I arrived in Japan~  After a LONG LONG day of travel.  With no major mishaps!  And I love it.  It still hasn't fully hit me that I'm here.  But it's just...perfect.

Now on to the day!

My apologies for the lack of layout, but I'm trying to do this quickly so I can go back out.  It's 2pm and much to do!


Lolth wasn't very happy with me.

After forever of packing, and being sure I missed things, and more packing...the day arrived to leave.  I stayed up all night, because my flight was at 6am and I had to be there at 4am, and because I'd be on a plane.  And that's a good excuse to sleep.  Right? Sure.  

Amanda's mom was supposed to drive me to the airport, but the day before my friend Danyele from work offered to drive me.  Just because she felt like it.  Amazingly sweet, that girl.  She agreed to meet me and Amanda at our apartment at 1am and we'd go get food then to the airport.  Around 10:30pm she texted me, asking if I was awake and home.  So she ended up showing to the apartment around 11pm.  At which point I entertained (slash maybe annoyed) her with random dance shots of idol groups.  I was entertained at least.


Finally 1am rolled around and I finished my final packing.  Amanda has been napping so she could go to work right after the airport, so she ran off to shower and get ready.  I knew I was missing things, I was sure of it.  And I kept freaking out that my checked luggage might be too heavy.  I didn't want to pay the fees.  But I had no scale so what could I do.  Not much.  Finally we left.  I locked the door and walked away, feeling like I was in the end of one of those sitcoms where they move out in the final season.  You know, where they reminisce about their lives there, then the show ends with them turning over the keys and moving on with life.  That's what it felt like.

As we left it started raining.  As if Washington was saying goodbye to me.  I was glad. 


The trip consisted of playing Falling in Reverse really loudly, singing along, and just general chatter.  We got to Seatac about an hour to an hour and a half later.  And spent maybe ten minutes driving around to find the Denny's.  

We got breakfast, almost the only ones in the place, and continued our chatter.  I, unfortunately, left the Camera in the car like I tend to do.  So no photos of my delicious pancakes with white chocolate chips in them, covered in hot fudge and bananas.  Alas.

Then it was time to go.  Back to the airport.


Amanda and Danyele both had to be back in town so they dropped me off and left.  


It's going to be hard being away from home so long.  I already miss it, but it's for the best!  Though I do really miss my cat...She was very angry with me because she knew I was leaving.


After easily getting through security and baggage check (Mine was 13lbs under the limit!  I was worried over nothing.)  I started heading the way to my gate, passing the cute Orca that's outside the gift shop. Of course I had to take a photo.  A passing security officer mumbled to his partner "People always need to take a picture of the orca."  I couldn't help but reply, "Because he's cute!"  He chuckled and offered to take a photo for me, I declined because I've done it before.  Though in retrospect I should have, I think.


I continued my way down, towards the train between terminals.  Of course there was a sign, on the way down the escalator that I had to take a photo of.  The sign was a lie though.  The shops were all closed!


I don't often take flights where I have to use the train, so it was kind of nice and exciting.  People looked at me like I was weird every time I took my camera out.  But who cares.  Onto the train!


I was lucky enough to get the standing space in the front so I could see the track.  It feels sort of cool when you can see where you're going.  Instead of just bumpy xD


About 5 minutes later I was at my gate.  An hour and a half early, so I wandered a little.  Snapped a mirror shot.  Then headed to take a seat and wait.


While I was sitting, I decided to call my mom.  Just to say good bye, and see how her morning was going.  Before you call me a bad daughter for calling so early - - my mom starts work at 5am so she was already awake!  I explained what was going to happen, and what I'd already done.  She told me she worried, like moms do, and that I needed to message her when I got to Tokyo.


People started showing up, and lining up at the coffee shop nearby.  The gate wasn't even open yet.  Such a line!


Finally I got bored enough to pull out my laptop and play the sims.  Not much excitement there.


30 minutes before take off they boarded the plane.  Window seat!  There was only one person next to me, and she was one seat over.  So lots of leg room!


This, of course, was the flight to LAX where I would be switching to another provider, and then straight to Tokyo.


When I left Seattle it was raining.  Then, immediately after boarding the plane....I fell asleep for an hour and a half.  Before I knew it I was flying over California.  Convenient.


I always love flying over the clouds.  It begins to look like a big soft pillow you just want to lay on.  Dangerous, but inviting.

Farms always look cool.

Very tired!


Around 8-8:30 am we arrived at LAX.  After exiting, and getting a little lost, I found out that I needed to travel to an entirely different terminal.  Awesome.  Luckily, I met a girl named Lilly, who was also taking the same flights as me, and together we searched!  After some walking and worry we found the right bus to get to the terminal.  Then we got lost trying to find the ticket counter.  (Because we both had to get out tickets printed there instead of at Seatac.)  It didn't take too long, luckily, so we both got through and got out tickets pretty fast.  

Then we got lost trying to find the security gate.  We're just not coordinated apparently.  Finally we found it, and after a slight problem for Lilly with her slightly too big bottle of face moisturizer, we got through.  And immediately stopped at the Currency Exchange counter.  I tried to just do $20dollars, but the fee was 5.95 for any amount, so I changed $120.  

Then on to the gate!


We didn't get lost, but we had about an hour to kill.  So we opted for food.  I bought a soda, and Lilly bought a sandwich.  The food was too expensive, so I decided not to.  But, sweet person that she is, Lilly offered me half of her sandwich.  We talked about school, and work, and life.  Even how the earthquake effected people we know.  Her hometown is very close to where the Tsunami hit, so it's been pretty hard for her.  Her trip is about closure.  She wants to be able to be around everything, so she doesn't have to feel the guilt and sorrow she's been feeling.  And so she can know that it's going to be okay.


Unfortunately for me, Lilly's seat was 30 rows ahead of mine.  : (


Finally we boarded.  At first, I was a little disappointed, because I was hoping for either someone who was a bit younger who I could talk to, or an empty seat next to me.  But as the flight went on, I began to appreciate my middle aged Korean seat buddy.

Getting ready!


I've got to say, the little touch screen moniters they have on the plane to Japan are just awesome.   Though it did take me a few tries to get it down xD  I didn't know the remote reversed into a controller.



I felt a little sheepish.  But eventually I understood it all!  Then the remote stopped working...  So I used the slightly faulty touch screen.  Until the Korean man next to me looked over and, partly in Korean, asked if it was working.  I shook my head, and he began poking at the buttons.  It told him it was fine and I would do something else.  But her persisted, calling over the flight attendant and explaining to him it didn't work.

The flight attendant reset it for me, and I thanked the man.  Over the flight, I learned that he was very kind.  He took care of me on the plane, as odd as that sounds.  At first I thought he was wary that he had to sit next to me.  But at a time when I fell asleep, he got extra snacks that I had missed, and gave them to me when I woke up.  He was very sweet!


There were two meals on the plane.  The first that I chose was a delicious fish meal.  With a little salad, a cake, and a roll.  Even a glass of wine!  Red, of course.

Wine and orange juice!

Salmon, rice, and steamed vegetables
Halfway through the flight I was done.  I didn't want it anymore.  I had fallen asleep for what seemed like forever.  It was only an hour!  I was so mad!


Eventually I started watching tv show episodes.  Which passed more time.  I rationalized that moves seemed like they took 2 hours, but a tv show took up 30 minutes more quickly for your brain.  It makes sense.  Sort of.

Groggy


The second meal, I wasn't too hungry.  So I declined, but the attendant insisted I atleast have the sides.  So I agreed.  It came with another little cake, a roll, and a delicious little dish with cucumber, peppers, and what seemed like partially smoked salmon in it.  Delicious.


12 hour flight later we arrived in Tokyo!  Then through customs much more quickly than I ever expected.  Lilly met me on the way there, and we went through together.  Figuring packs work better than individual.  

I got my luggage and headed out to where Anna was supposed to meet me.  A minute or so later she walked through the door apologizing for being late.  I laughed, since we just came out.  So we headed around to find where to buy a Suica card for the train system, and I said good bye to Lilly.  She heads out around the 15th so she'll be back in Tokyo then.  

I didn't take many pictures after arriving, sorry!  But Anna and I hopped onto the train, heading down from Narita to go to the Shinjuku Sakura House office.  Difficult with my heavy luggage, but doable!  I felt like such an inconvenience because it took up so much space~  But we finally got o Shinjuku, and tried to find a locker my things would fit in.

Of course we only found one big enough for my carry on things.  But anything helped!  So we dropped that off and started off to the Sakura House office.  Where we asked if I could leave my bag while we got food.  Thankfully they agreed so Anna and I headed out.  Looking for any place that seemed good.


We found a cute little Italian restaurant that seemed inexpensive and cute.  So we headed in.  They didn't have an english menu, so Anna went for one of the photos.  And I used my best reading skills to get a Corn and Tomato pizza.  Luckily the woman asked if I wanted the bacon on it, so I got to have it without meat.  It didn't say there was bacon! 

Anna got a delicious looking pasta dish with salmon and nori.  The woman was cute, asking if "Japanese flavor, okay?" to make sure.

The Restaurant~
 Afterwards we headed back to the office, and I filled out the paperwork, and got the run down and a map while Anna chatted with some people she knew there about upcoming lives.   It didn't take too much time and the woman at the office was super sweet!  And she had an amazing English accent.  I was impressed.  We also chatted with her about music.  She likes 70s American rock!




Back to the station, to grab my bags and catch the train to my new home.  I was falling asleep by that point. I almost fell asleep about 5 times on the train.  Luckily Anna was there to help me!  We did a little searching but found the place, and headed in.

After opening the main door, the first thing I heard was Korean!  It surprised me.  As it turns out, two of the people on this floor are from Korea.  The only two I've met so far, actually!  One is my room mate, Kim.  She's very sweet, but doesn't speak any english.  And because I speak no Korean, Japanese is our only tool!  The other, I didn't catch his name.  But Kim told me the other people on the floor are from Taiwan, the Phillipines, Canada, Korea, and England.  I believe that's it.


Not any room photos yet, but I've set up a little today.  Altogether it was a packed, exciting day.  Without too much actual activity.  I was exhausted! But it's been worth it.

And I don't know if it's a sign or not...But most of the people I've met so far, I feel like I've already met.  Lilly, Anna, Kim, the woman at the Sakura House Office.  They're all eerily familar.  In a good way.  But it's as if I've known them, and just haven't seen them in a while.

Life is good.


 ♥ Myshappy


1 comment: