5.03.2012

Day 3 - Aya in Shibuya!

Each day in Tokyo keeps getting better and better.  I don't even know how this month will end, but I already know it involves tears.

Yesterday started with me waking up at a ridiculous hour, then going back to bed.  This happened about three times til I finally got up at 7am.  This being a holiday weekend, my room mate didn't have to get up for school or anything, so she was still sound asleep in her bed.  So I crept out to use the bathroom, then crept back in to grab my laptop.  Then I headed out to sit on the couch til a decent hour.

I blogged for a bit, facebooked, and twittered.  All the basic internet things.  Gradually people started to leave.  The man from the Phillipines introduced himself, though I'm sorry to admit I completely forgot his name.  He left, and a bit later the man (Who I can only assume) from Canada came out to use the restroom. In his boxers, no less.  He mumbled an apology and hurried on.

Nice.

Girl from Taiwan left, and mumbled a good morning.  Then, blogging done, I headed back to my room.  Kim had already woken up and was getting ready to go shower.  Apparently, my early rise surprised her.  She asked what time it was back home, and I said that it was...maybe five, I didn't know.  She laughed and went on her way.

I checked my e-mail, because Aya had said she was coming, and her uncle needed my help with something. But she hadn't said what time.

Quick aside:  Aya is my friend from High School.  She was an exchange student at another school during my Junior year.  We met her through our friend Ryo because they were in the same program~

Back to the day!  She said she was running late, but she'd be at the Royal Park Hotel at about 10:25am, so I should meet her on the first floor.  Alright, an hour to get ready!

So I did...

Then I headed out the door to meet her at the hotel.  It's connected to Suitengumae Station, so it was only about a  minute walk.  

The cutest thing happened on the way.  I walked by the Police office, which is right down the way, and one of the officers was standing out front like he's supposed to.  I looked up and smiled at him, because we made eye contact.  He smiled back and said "Guu moniin~!"  I giggled and said good morning back.  It made my morning.  Really.

When I got there, I waited around a little, not able to get a wifi connection on my ipod, so I wasn't sure if she was looking for me or not.  Finally she came up the Escalator.  We squealed and hugged, like girls do.  After that she turns and introduces me to her mother and younger sister.  Whom I had no idea where coming!  She explained that they didn't speak English, so I would have to use Japanese to them.  And I should just talk to them.  I told her I would but not yet!  It was too early to embarrass myself infront of her family.  It would have to wait til later.  She rolled her eyes and told me whatever.

We're such sweet friends.

So we headed upstair, while she mildly explained what was going on, cause she hardly knew.  Apparently we were just going to take money, and stand in line to exchange it for packs of coins.  It was for her Uncle's business.  (Which I never found out what that was...)

Apparently I was at the Tokyo International Coin Convention.  We stood around for a moment, trying to figure out what was going on.  Then her mom gave me a badge, and the rest of them went up to get theirs.  So, badges on, we went in where her Uncle met us.  He thanked me, in english, and explained what was happening.  So basically, we took the money he had, got in line, and exchanged it for 5 bags, then did it again.  Til we were all out of money.

Cool.

So we did that for a while.  Like the typical Japanese mom Aya's mother is, she kept telling Aya my bag was too heavy, and she'll take the coins so we don't have to carry them.  She'll watch them.  It was sweet, but I wanted to help.  Aya kept taking my bag from me.  And I kept taking it back.

This went on for a while.  We chatted about our friends, and what we wanted to do while I am in Tokyo.    Then we took the HEAVY bags out to the car, to dump them.  Then we came back in for our next task.

Which was to stand in the ridiculously long line to go get full Japanese coin sets.  Swank.  We separated, so it was just me and Aya together.  More chatting.  Then we FINALLY got into the room where the coins were.  Still a long line.

Chandelier!

Aya in line~

About halfway through the line, a man yelled to the crowd that the people in the back will probably not be able to purchase anything, as their supplies are low.  Lucky for us we were far enough up.  We made it through the line to the purchase counter with no difficulties.

Then down to hand the coins over to her uncle.  Meanwhile Aya's mother was looking online for places to eat, and asking what I wanted, or what food I didn't like.  I kept telling them anything was okay.  I didn't care.  Japanese food is okay!  Finally I narrowed it down to "Not Italian, I don't like Italian."  Which seemed to make it a little better.

Then we headed down to the metro, and without telling me Aya bought my ticket.  Sigh.  So we got on the train up to Shibuya!

Aya's mom, sister Saki, and Aya.

Random shot at Kudanshita Station.

Me and Aya!

20 minutes and a few photos later, we arrived in Shibuya.  Being a holiday weekend it was busier than it might have been any other day. (Sat/Sun. aside.)  But we persisted, heading to a building with a few restaurants in it.  I snapped a shot out the window.


It took a while to decide what we wanted.  Me being up for anything, and them not wanting to take me somewhere I didn't like.  We decided on one restaurant, and headed up the elevator to it.  But it was going to be a wait, so we headed the stairs to the other floor.  And right before the door there was a case of live eels just sitting there!


Kind of cool, really.  I almost took a video, but didn't want to waste time.  Hunger was setting in.  We decided between Omerice and strictly japanese, and took the more traditional route.  It had more options.  So we headed in, and got out seats.  Lucky for me, Aya decided to order for everyone (what we chose of course) to save time.  It was a cute little place.  Full of gyaru.  When one gyaru left, another two came in.  It was pretty intense.

No gyaru here.

Aya forced conversation between us all.  It was actually pretty fun.  She then told me to speak English to Saki, because she might remember some of it.  It was hilarious.  I said "How old are you?"  and for the next minute she mumbled "How...are...you? How.."  Before she finally got it.  It was very cute.


Saki wore a mask because she wasn't wearing make up.  But she's so cute!

Eventually the food arrived, and it looked delicious.  By then I was starved.  Even now I'm hungry just thinking about it, it was so good.

Basically:  Fried chicken, salad, rice, tuna, and miso soup.
We chatted and ate.  Aya kept making fun of me because I couldn't separate the tuna with my chopsticks.  It was hard!!

T-ARA Japanese version of Lovey Dovey coming out.  I want.

After food we headed out, and Aya suggested we go look at Shibuya 109 (Ichi maru kyu).  I couldn't turn down the offer.  It was mad busy though, so we only browsed for a bit.  Checking a few of the floors, and deciding to come back a less hectic day.  I did nab a few pairs of tights that were 3 for 1050.  A great deal, if I do say so myself.  Then we headed back out.



Aya, Me, and Aya's mom.





We walked a bit before Aya told me that her mom and sister wanted to check out the new shopping center at Hikarie.  ShinQs.  So we headed that way. And, surprise surprise, we had to wait in a line to get into the building.  It didn't take too long though, which was nice.  





We roamed around in there for a little bit.  As I suspected it was full of international items.  Things that hardly interested me, since I'm not really looking for things from back home.  But it was very nicely set up.  

People leaving ShinQs.

Aya explained to me how some of the buildings were set up, and what stores were where.  It's great having someone who knows with you.  It makes it a lot less stressful!

Feeling a little peckish, and looking for something to do, we decided to go to Karaoke and get a snack and sing a few songs.  On the way we stopped by a shoe store and looked around a bit.

It took a minute or so before we realized that all of the shoes in the front display were for the rain!  So stylish and cool...





I may have to go back and get a pair.  Living in Washington and all, it might be nice to have shoes that look cute and keep your feet dry.

When we got to the Karaoke place, the explained there was a 45 minute wait, and we should head to the other one nearby.  So we headed out.

A short walk later and we were at the karaoke place # 2.


Window sign.  Wtf.

We got a room, and a ton of sodas.  Aya started off with a Kalafina song, asking me which one I wanted her to sing.  I was cool with all of them.

Sometimes my indecisiveness is annoying.


We also looked at the dessert menu and found the cutest thing!  
Based on singer Kyary Pamyu Pamyu they have the Kyara Parfait Parfait!
Obviously that's what I chose.



And the songs went on!


Aya kept trying to get me to sing a song, until I finally chose one and went for it.  You drive me crazy by Brittney Spears. Woo! 
I did a bad job, but no one cared.

Aya's mom even sang a song.  She has a very pretty voice.

My Kyara Parfait Parfait arrived!  Yummy!

Saki's Chocolate Parfait.

Too soon though our time was up and we had to leave.  So we headed back to the station and I said goodbye to Aya's family.  Well, we all said see you later.  But still.

Aya walked me down to the train, and we said our goodbyes.


Though we did agree to make tons of plans.  She gets off around 7 most days, so we'll go to dinner and such.  And we already have a list of things we're going to do: Disneyland, the planetarium, the movies, shopping, sightseeing, tokyo tower, so on and so forth.

Aya also explained her family to me.  Her mother was really excited to meet me, and several times during the day took photos or videos of us and happily said things like "Aya and her friend~  Who came from America~"  

Apparently I'm the first friend from America that her family has been able to meet, so they're really excited.  They want to take me to go sightseeing, says Aya, and since her dad has a car he wants to.  

I really hope I didn't disappoint them, and that they liked me~

The moving walkway in Suitengumae.

After I got back, I headed home.  E-mailed Aya and told her I got home alright.  Then sat online.  

Eventually, though, I got bored.  Kim went to shower, so I decided to go for a walk and take some photos.

I started by going over Kiyosubashi and taking night photos.  They're my favorite kind, so I had to.







I walked a long ways, in an area I've never been.  But I have faith in my sense of direction, so I went for it.  Eventually coming out on the other side of the bridge.  I passed SO MANY pachinko parlors!  I was amazed.  I hadn't passed more than one before that.  


A few people looked at me while I walked, being foreign and all, but nothing exciting.  

Until I stopped to take this photo.

Cute!

And a man rode by on a bike.  All I heard behind me was "美人ね~! キレイね~!"  I was so surprised!  Some guy on a bike drove by, called me beautiful, then continued on and called me pretty.  It was flattering, and it made me smile the whole way home


Eventually I ended up in familiar territory, finding the grocery store I shop at.  So I decided to walk a little farther.

The shrine was closed.


I ended up making it home around 9:30pm, though it felt later.  My sense of time is a little messed up.

Over all the day was just great.

And a preview for day 4.....

I'm going to a Live.

♥ Myshappy

3 comments:

  1. It all sounds so amazing~~~~! I'm so jealous~! Tell Aya I miss her~!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good day! ! I miss Aya :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. kirei~ (did i spell it right? lol)
    i really like those night photos!
    and once again awesome blogging skills!
    sounds like aya and her family are really cool =^o^=

    ReplyDelete